The Club Arc Alpin (CAA) was founded as umbrella organisation of the eight leading mountaineering associations of the alpine arch in 1995.
The CAA coordinates and represents the common interests of these associations in the fields of mountaineering, nature protection and alpine spacial planning on an international level, particularly in the organs of the Alpine Convention, and promotes the exchange of information. Main components are the three commissions "Mountaineering, training and safety", "Nature protection and alpine spacial planning" and "Huts and trails".
The CAA represents about 2.5 million mountaineers in Europe.
The CAA member associations are:
- Alpenverein Südtirol (AVS)
- Fédération Française des Clubs Alpins et de Montagne (FFCAM)
- Club Alpino Italiano (CAI)
- Deutscher Alpenverein (DAV)
- Liechtensteiner Alpenverein (LAV)
- Österreichischer Alpenverein (ÖAV)
- Planinska Zveza Slovenije (PZS) (Alpine association of Slovenia)
- Schweizer Alpen-Club (SAC)